PDA

View Full Version : My updated NA-T setup. Questions and feedback! Guru's needed!

kaos
02-18-2009, 01:46 AM
I have a 1997 2JZ-GE auto. Here's what I'll be using for my budget low boost NA-T setup...

Engine
Stock compression

Turbo
Turbonetics T66 Dual Ball-Bearing Turbo
XSPower Dump Tube
XSPower Turbo Manifold (44mm flange)
TiAL 38mm Wastegate (44mm flange adapter, can't afford 44mm wg :[
TiAL 0.6 bar (8.7 psi) Spring
3" T-Bolt Clamps/Couplers
HKS SSQV and Recirculation Fitting w/hose (purple insert)
XSPower Polished Stainless Steel Down Pipe w/O2 Sensor Bungs
ebay Stainless Steel Midpipe with Gaskets
VeilSide Ti Exhaust
DaveH Teflon and Braided Stainless Oil Supply Line, Oil Return Plate, High Temp Drain Lines, Flanges and Gaskets

Cooling
Precision Intercooler
Boost Logic Intercooler Piping (HKS BOV already mounted to cold side under passenger turn signal pipe)
Auto Tranny cooler

Electronics
Apexi AFC Neo
AEM UEGO Wideband Controller
GReddy 52mm Boost Gauge
HKS Twin Ignition
Twin Turbo MAP Sensor (???)
Toyota JDM 2JZ-GE Auto ECU (???)

Fuel
Stock 330cc injectors
Denso 280lph Twin Turbo Fuel Pump
Fuel Return Line Kit
Aeromotive Fuel Pressure Regulator

Ignition
Denso Iridium IK22 Spark Plugs (gapped at .028")
4Runner Distributor Cap

So my plan is to use this old T66 turbo I had laying around. Had it rebuilt. But my plans are to just run low boost (8-9psi) for now and have fun with that until I can afford for the new Boost Logic compound setup. I would also like to learn much more about the 2JZ and motors in general during this project.

Will I be okay using a T66 for that low of boost or should I sell it for something like a T61? I don't care much about making big power right now. Hell, I'd be happy with even 250hp! But will the T66 be okay or will it be incredibly laggy at 8psi? I just figured the T66 will also allow for big power when I'm ready to upgrade compression/fuel/tranny/ecu (up to 650hp with that turbo?)

Since I am only going to be using the SAFC Neo as a piggy back to the stock ECU what can I do for tuning? I've been hearing a lot of talk about blowthrough setups, MAF mods, stock JDM ECU which is MAP based already, using a TT MAP sensor for the SAFC, etc. etc. What do I need to do with the Neo for my car to run right at 8 psi and not stall? Where should I place my BOV? Is it ok on the cool side pipe under the passenger turn signal? I know there has been success with these basic setups for low boost.

Will I NEED to recirculate my BOV for tuning and to avoid stalling? Will the Neo's anti-stall feature help any? If I can avoid recirculating the BOV I'd like to.

OdyOwnage
02-18-2009, 08:53 AM
From what I have read and understand, the XSPower T61 turbo is actually a T67. I am running it at 8 LBS with no issues and it feels like stock twins (pretty quick spool up). So it won't be laggy at all.

The SAFC should be sufficient in regards to tuning. Again, this raises concerns with stalling. Have you considered a VPC by chance? This will eliminate the MAF and solve the "Where do I place this thing?" problem as well. I have decided to throw anymore money into my car so everything is on hold for me. I was going to go for the VPC & SAFC combo.

I good spot for the BOV would be moderately close to the Throttle Body. That is where it is recommended to be placed. I am sure that there shouldn't be issues under the passenger side turn signal either. Recirculating the BOV may prevent the stalling this I am not sure of. It didn't help for me.

Maybe I just need to take my car to a professional tuner but then I think about cost. Should I waste XXX.XX dollars to fix that or just get a VPC which I am sure would eliminate stalling? Hmmm, to many questions too little time.

Hope this helped!

LexusFTW
02-18-2009, 10:16 AM
There's a problem with the JDM GE ECU. The timing values are still N/A and you'll need to volt clamp the map sensor for positive pressure. You're much better off going with an GTE ecu.

Edit* http://www.clubna-t.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5732

kaos
02-18-2009, 01:15 PM
So GTE ECU will pop right in to the NA harness or do I need to solder any wires?

GTE + SAFC2, will that help with stalling at all? i'm looking for a proven way to stop stalling. going the route of the ecu which was meant for a turbo in the first place sounds better than using the safc on the na ecu.

with my bov under the passenger turn signal the recirculation hose would be very long. probably too long for the excess air to make it back to the intake before the car stalls.