Register FAQ Locate Members! Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Member's Rides Post pictures of your car here

Dazzi's NA-T Project
Old 06-02-2015, 09:23 AM   #1
Dazzi
2 psi

Trader Ratings: (0)
Dazzi's NA-T Project

Hi all been on this forum for years but not posted a project thread. I had a black NA-T 7 years ago (on youtube search Dazzi supra na-t). Was only running low boost on a basic map.

Since then I broke the car for parts and bought a new project almost 2 years ago. A white facelift na auto. My black car I kept breaking clutches on the W58 so I went with an auto this time to build the box.

The car came with very tired looking headlights and with the usual peeling chrome rings and dull halogen bulbs. The previous owner tinted the lights I think to hide this. Not to my taste so I swapped my facelift lights from the black one onto the white one and installed my 6000k HID's. What a difference! Makes the car look so much more modern.

Before

(Supra fetish alert :taped: )

After

6000k's in

Offline:   Reply With Quote

Old 06-02-2015, 09:28 AM   #2
Dazzi
2 psi

When I bought the car the stock air bag steering wheel was removed and replaced with a non air bag after market steering wheel. As many people will know when you do this the air bag light comes on because of a break in the circuit. Simply connecting both ends together will not switch the light off, this will cause a short circuit.

Today I worked out which resistor to use and found the right one in my tool box. With the help on my trusty Snap on Modis diagnostic scanner I made the job too easy to erase the code and clear the light after the install of the resistor. The usual trick is to tap TC & AB to a ground until the light goes off

Resistor 5.1 Ohms 1% 50ppm (Blue body 6 band green brown black silver brown red)

Temporarily installed (didn't want to solder it in in case it didn't switch the light off).

After entering the relevant info I proceeded to connect to the air bag system.

Connection of the TOY-1 (Toyota plug) next to the intake manifold.

Before I cleared the code I double checked what it was. Driver squib circuit open.

Time to clear the code.

After the code had cleared I started the car to check it was defiantly out, which it was. I then switch the car off and went back into the system to check for any codes. No codes present

The car running without the air bag light keeping me company

I installed a new steering wheel to replace the cheap one that was on the car when I bought it.

Old 06-02-2015, 09:30 AM   #3
Dazzi
2 psi

Turbo bits - started cleaning up my turbo compressor housing. I wanted to 'de-badge', smooth and polish it.

How the turbo was:

Starting to 'de-badge'

Turbo badge plate block was here, this was removed.

A quick pic of the turbo done with a light polish

I decided to ditch the idea of a polished turbo as it clashes with the rest of the engine so decided to paint it the same silver as the engine. Also I picked up a Whifbitz log style turbo manifold. The fitment is really good and the turbo clears the distributor so much more than the XS Power manifolds.

Old 06-02-2015, 09:37 AM   #4
Dazzi
2 psi

Plenty of room with a 4" intake

Picked up an emanage ultimate, full wiring harness, 3 bar map sensor and extension harness so got to work wiring it on

Also did the auto shifter conversion so it looks like a manual! I locked out the shift lock so you just pull and push to change gear.

My hybrid auto box which is good for 600HP+ This is a twin turbo auto running an NA valve body. Basically an NA auto runs higher pressure but only has 3 clutches, the TT has 5. So the NA valve body running high pressure in a TT auto can handle more power

Old 06-02-2015, 09:40 AM   #5
Dazzi
2 psi

Last year I took a bit of time off on my supra and did some work on my gf's supra :taped:

The body work was in a bit of a state. Stone chips, dents, poor touch ups and different shades of silver. She didn't want to spend loads on a spray job so we repaired all the bad bits and went with plasti dip.

Old 06-02-2015, 09:41 AM   #6
Dazzi
2 psi

Now back to my project lol!

Got a few parts recently. AEM boost gauge, transmission temp gauge and UEGO wideband. Also got a walbro 255lph fuel pump.

Also received my whifbitz 3" v band down pipe, mid pipe and wastegate pipe + turbosmart hypergate 45 wastegate.

Old 06-02-2015, 09:43 AM   #7
Dazzi
2 psi

Installed my AEM transmission temp, Air/fuel ratio and boost gauge into the lower glove box. I didnt want any gauges visible when the car is parked up so if anyone looks in it appears standard

Removed the NS inner arch lining to gain access to the inside of the car to pull the wires through for the gauges.

Transmission temperature sensor installed.

Adjustable gauge holders

Old 06-02-2015, 09:47 AM   #8
Dazzi
2 psi

To make way for the intercooler I relocated the coolant over flow bottle to the battery area.

Front mount intercooler installed. Im not really a fan of the chromed look so to add a bit more stealth to the project the intercooler has been sprayed black to hide it in the bumper.

Making a start on the intercooler piping. 2.5" is being used to make the install easier.

NSF

OSF

My last NA-T project the intercooler pipes kept blowing off so this time round I decided to bead the end of the pipes. I made a custom tool which consists of mole grips, a 2.5" exhaust clamp and a washer.

Testing on a scrap bit of pipe. You have to adjust the mole grips as you go round.

After 3 passes.

After a few practice pieces I beaded all the intercooler pipes. The end result looks like this after 5 passes.

Old 06-02-2015, 09:54 AM   #9
Dazzi
2 psi

Whifbitz turbo manifold, turbosmart hypergate 45 wastegate and screamer pipe installed.

Turbo and 10AN oil return installed.

Turbo jacket, downpipe, AFR sensor and 02 sensors installed. Mocking up 4AN oil feed line.

3" Exhaust system from the turbo back.

Got all the piping clamped up and realised the 45 degree silicone coupler from the turbo was going to make the air filter hit the piping to the inlet. I bought a 4" 45 degree aluminium pipe to turn the air filter back towards the front of the car. Once I installed this I then had to measure up what length K&N air filter I needed. Turned out to be 228mm long and fits perfectly.

Couple of vids of the car up and running

Old 06-02-2015, 09:59 AM   #10
Dazzi
2 psi

Mapping went well. Im running on the wastegate at 7.5PSI. The car has been totally transformed. After a week of driving and enjoying the boost I lost power steering on the way home one night. Turned out the intercooler piping route I made didn't like the power steering pipes on the rack lol! When the car was on the 2 post lift everything cleared fine but we didnt realise when the car was dropped back on the ground the intercooler piping got pushed into the pipes on the rack thanks to the anti roll bar.

I contacted toyota to get some pipes for 77 as I had no luck on here. I was told 10 days before they would get here. I waited 10 days and called them for an update. They told me I'd have to wait another 10 days as there was a problem. I told them to cancel the order as that day another member had some for 20 posted. In the meantime I replaced the cambelt, tensioner, water pump, alternator, cam shaft oil seals, crank shaft oil seals and rocker cover seals.

I received the power steering pipes shortly after and got them all hooked up and working. Next was to rework the piping to clear the power steering lines.

Before (behind the anti roll bar)

After (infront of the anti roll bar)

Thats all done and dusted now I was going to get it back on the road but decided to change the body kit. I took the oem side skirts off to replace with the plastic trims and side pods. Unfortunately I found primer on the rocker panel 2.5 hours later with some cutting compound and its now gone. Still painting the black trim bits atm but almost there

Old 06-02-2015, 10:01 AM   #11
Dazzi
2 psi

Well after some hard driving I think its time for a brake upgrade. The Jspec calipers are great but they fade pretty bad when I need them the most.

Luckily my black supra had some UK front brakes on that I bought brand new back in 2007. They've been stashed away in the garage waiting for a day like this! I rummaged around in my parts cabinet and found them looking a bit worse for wear. The paint was coming off and they were pretty rusty in places. I set to removed all the rust with a wire brush before bead blasting.

After a good wire brushing they started to take some sort of shape!

Popping the pistons out with compressed air.

The pistons were in good shape below where the dust boot sits but a little rusty up top. I cleaned up the rust with a dremel polisher.

Old 06-02-2015, 10:02 AM   #12
Dazzi
2 psi

I was originally going to keep the 2 halves of the caliper together but I split them to do a proper job. The square seals were available on the forum if needed but the original seals were in perfect shape.

Prepping for bead blasting

They came out pretty good. I just wanted to take the old paint off and roughen up the metal for a good key for the paint.

Prepping from spraying

I searched for a while deciding on what paint to use. I came across VHT Caliper paint and read up on plenty of good reviews. Going with my original 'stealth' look (black intercooler) I decided to go with a gloss black. It shows off the caliper well but not in your face.

Picture of the back halve of one of the calipers. I didn't bother going crazy with paint because you wont see this side, but I made sure it was done properly to protect underneath.

Once the calipers cured for 7 days they went in the over for 1 hour at 90c to fully cure the paint.

Installing the piston seals with Castrol red rubber grease, installing the pistons and dust boots

Old 06-02-2015, 10:02 AM   #13
Dazzi
2 psi

Thats the assembly of the calipers back together. The 2 halves of the calipers were torqued upto 23 lb ft as stated on the US supra forums. I test fitted the pins to make sure the paint didn't build up too much in the hole.

Next I installed some white high temp caliper decals. The decals can be clear coated to lock in and protect them for years to come.

Last step I clear coated the front halves of the calipers with the decal in place to give it that extra shine.

Old 06-02-2015, 10:04 AM   #14
Dazzi
2 psi

Installed the UK (TT) brakes. The brake heat shield strangely didn't need taking off or trimming and is a perfect fit for the new discs. They were a bit rusty so wire brushed and touched them up with some paint. They look ten times better lurking behind the wheels!

Bedding in time now then we'll see how they perform.

Old 06-21-2015, 02:36 PM   #15
Hooligan
Class Clown

Looking good.

Old 09-16-2015, 10:33 PM   #16
sulikcassidy
in vacuum

Great project.

Old 09-19-2015, 02:28 PM   #17
2jzget
20psi club

havent been here in a very long time. Nice to see projects like this here. Great job