Go Back   Club NA-T Forums Turbo Boost HP Car >
Tuning Electronics
> Other devices
Register FAQ Locate Members! Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Other devices Standalone ECU, other piggybacks.....



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes

Megasquirt Standalone Wiring for 2jz-GE, let's giterdone
Old 02-01-2008, 09:19 PM   #1
Bean
NA-T Guru
 
Bean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Mobile, AL
Posts: 1,105
Trader Ratings: (0)
Megasquirt Standalone Wiring for 2jz-GE, let's giterdone

Here's some basics I just compiled by scanning some wiring docs. If there's any inputs/outputs that are missing that the MS would need to run as a full standalone with the distributor (trying a simple setup here). Next is to make construction instructions specifically for the 2jz motor. I'll start work on that tomorrow unless someone else wants to start it sooner. Nothing super in-depth, it can reference instructions from the MS manual, but needs to be geared to choices and realistic options for this motor.

This is showing info for a distributor setup; but we need a distributor-less (CPS is an option) install idea for the GE. And mounting the Ford EDIS isn't so easy. That will involve some precise fabrication. DaveH's Hall-sensor setup might fare quite a bit better (and allow for GTE cams)

coolant temp - LY - E9-44

distributor(NE) - B - E9-27
distributor(G1) - R - E9-26
distributor(G2) - W - E9-25
distributor(G-) - G - E9-7 - common ground for G1, G2, and NE when pickup is triggered

Ign Switch - B-O - E10-1 ( 9-14 volts with Ignition Switch in ON position)
Battery +B - B-R - E10-31 (9-14 volts with IGNSW ON)
Battery BATT - B-Y - E10-33 (steady 9-14 volts)
VTA1 - Y - E9-43 (TPS 0 to 5v)

ISC1 - V-Y - E9-35 - IACV
ISC2 - G-W - E9-34
ISC3 - G-O - E9-33
ISC4 - R-G - E9-32

OX1 - W - E9-48
OX2 - R-L - E9-47

INJ1 - R-L E9-20
INJ2 - R - E9-16
INJ3 - R-W - E9-17
INJ4 - R-G - E9-18
INJ5 - R-Y - E9-19
INJ6 - R-B - E9-15


Cut and pasted this from SupraRunner's DIY for the AEM; does it apply to the megasquirt too? Wiring a resistor inbetween the two pins allows the A/C to be enabled without aid of the ECU; IIRC. I think this is the switch where the ECU turns off the A/C at WOT. MAybe something simmilar should be done with one of the extra outputs of the MS.

Air Conditioning: Pull-Up Resistor
Wire in 1k ohm resistor between pins:
ECU Pin 34A (A/C) blue/red wire (a/c request input)
ECU Pin 33A (BATT) black/yellow wire (Battery Voltage)
Resistor Specs:
Resistance: 1,000 (1k) Ohms
Part Number: Radio Shack #271-153
Color Bands: Brown-Black-Red
__________________
2007 BMW 335i Sport
M6, BBK, Eibach suspension bits, AA AP2, AA DPs, AA FMIC, Bremmer 19x10.5r,19x8.5f wheels, Michelin PSS

2010 Nissan 370z
M6, base

Last edited by Bean : 02-02-2008 at 01:28 PM.
Offline:   Reply With Quote

Old 02-02-2008, 12:54 PM   #2
Bean
NA-T Guru
 
Bean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Mobile, AL
Posts: 1,105
Trader Ratings: (0)
http://www.msdignition.com/tc_17.htm

That looks like a Hall-effect sensor setup to me. That would be easily doable for our purposes, but it would require the removal of the timing pulleys so they metal backing plate could be drilled properly. And it would only be one magnet, I'm not sure if that would be appropriate for the AEM setup; but its probably adaptable I'd imagine to both the AEM and MS.

Here's the problem though for ignition setups. On Toyotas, the EDIS setup is HARD to mount, infact I've never seen the EDIS used on a modern Toyota I6 (7M, 1jz, and 2jz). Mainly because the standard solution of mounting the gear-teeth disc doesn't work on our crank pulley. The bolt is extremely recessed, and mounting to the back of the pulley is a no-go since the back of it goes into a recess on the motor. It would be hard to mount the sensor as well.

So I think this leaves us with several options. I don't think the EDIS is such a good deal here for the 1jz/2jz. The Hall-effect sensor of the link posted above would be doable so that GTE cams could be used; and I'm quite certain that there have been sucessful runs of the MS on 7M motors using their CPS. But since the MS itself can only drive one coil, that leaves us in a pickle We'd need 3 coils to be driven since the MS uses waste-spark. The 7M coils would be perfect, but I haven't found anything on that yet, though I'm still searching.

EDIT: Well Additional Ignition Driver circuits can be added to the MS board to drive more than just one coil; but its a modification over the original design and there's not a lot of info out there on it. It looks like we can use the 7M CPS for the input signal to trigger the coil drivers that in turn would trigger the coils themselves. 7M-GTE coils would possibly be a good idea as well I think. I'm receiving conflicting info about what signals on the CPS need to be used; I assumed all of them since the crank-position input needs to have at least half as many teeth (or pulses) as there are cylinders. Which means 3 inputs; which is what the CPS and 2JZ distributor both have.
__________________
2007 BMW 335i Sport
M6, BBK, Eibach suspension bits, AA AP2, AA DPs, AA FMIC, Bremmer 19x10.5r,19x8.5f wheels, Michelin PSS

2010 Nissan 370z
M6, base

Last edited by Bean : 02-02-2008 at 01:28 PM.
Offline:   Reply With Quote

Old 02-02-2008, 01:34 PM   #3
Bean
NA-T Guru
 
Bean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Mobile, AL
Posts: 1,105
Trader Ratings: (0)
Found a little documentation here on wiring up additional coil drivers. This mentions MSE which is MegaSquirt along with some "Extras" and it involves a different (modded) software/firmware download over the original. I think these instructions apply to the normal MS2 V3 boards as well.

Also, here is a link on SF for a guy who got it working on the 7M using EDIS!
http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho...megasquirt+cps
Attached Images
File Type: jpg vb921-driver-extras.jpg (21.1 KB, 0 views)
__________________
2007 BMW 335i Sport
M6, BBK, Eibach suspension bits, AA AP2, AA DPs, AA FMIC, Bremmer 19x10.5r,19x8.5f wheels, Michelin PSS

2010 Nissan 370z
M6, base

Last edited by Bean : 02-02-2008 at 01:37 PM.
Offline:   Reply With Quote

Old 02-02-2008, 02:20 PM   #4
Bean
NA-T Guru
 
Bean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Mobile, AL
Posts: 1,105
Trader Ratings: (0)
Alright I've found that there is an expansion also for the MS2, I didn't realize it was available for the MS2, just thought the MS1. But it supposedly allows for up-to COP ignition I have heard it can use the stock 7M ignitor. So this might be at the point where you can use the 7M hardware for ignition completely.
__________________
2007 BMW 335i Sport
M6, BBK, Eibach suspension bits, AA AP2, AA DPs, AA FMIC, Bremmer 19x10.5r,19x8.5f wheels, Michelin PSS

2010 Nissan 370z
M6, base
Offline:   Reply With Quote

Old 02-02-2008, 02:59 PM   #5
Bean
NA-T Guru
 
Bean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Mobile, AL
Posts: 1,105
Trader Ratings: (0)
http://www.msextra.com/ms2extra/MS2-Extra_Nippon.htm

There's the MS2-Extra diagrams for using the Toyota CAS without hacking it. That should work for crank-position input.

As for ignition output, I found that the Mitsubishi unit from the DOHC 6G72 (turbo and nonturbo) is a great unit. Its called a power transitor but its just an ignitor.
http://www.stealth316.com/2-pwrtransunit.htm

If you read down further where it shows troubleshooting for the ignition on the 6G72, you can see the coils are neatly arranged; I'm betting we can use that too if the 7M parts are too hard to mount.
__________________
2007 BMW 335i Sport
M6, BBK, Eibach suspension bits, AA AP2, AA DPs, AA FMIC, Bremmer 19x10.5r,19x8.5f wheels, Michelin PSS

2010 Nissan 370z
M6, base
Offline:   Reply With Quote

Old 02-03-2008, 12:57 PM   #6
Bean
NA-T Guru
 
Bean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Mobile, AL
Posts: 1,105
Trader Ratings: (0)
So now we need to put up some ideas here for ignition.

There are two routes that I can see being made that involve using the 7M CPS. It is a readily available piece that works with our stock hardware and it has been decoded for use by the MS2-Extra firmware.

The CPS has two wheels within it, one for the crank-position (26 teeth, no missing, on the Ne Pickup) and cam position (2 teeth at 180 deg seperation on the G1 and G2 pickup). FYI the G1 pickup is for cyl 6 at TDC and G2 is for cyl 1. I'm attaching a picture, don't mind the editing, it had to do with something else.

That is only part of the equation though and the signal to ignite still has to get out. It can be done two different ways.

1) Install two additional VB921 coil drivers.
What does a coil driver do? Its essentially an ignitor, it uses a npn BJT transitor (I'm pretty sure) that turns on when voltage is applied to the base (pin 1 on the VB921). When the switch is ON, this causes current to flow through the primary winding of the transformer within the coil. When it is time to fire, the voltage applied to the base is cut-off very quickly. This causes a huge voltage surge in the secondary winding inside the coil as a reaction. The voltage surge of the coil is applied across the open ends of the spark plug, where now the voltage across the gap in the spark plug is high enough to flow electricity through the compressed air and we have a spark.

The basic MS2 install will give you instructions on how to install one VB921 driver, but the extra 2 drivers have to be installed seperately. I've got the data saved for this. Its nothing really hard honestly.

So essentially, the ignitors will be onboard and simple coils can be used for each one. I'm not sure if the 7M coils are simple, they may have ignitors built into them? I havent had time to research that. If not, I DO believe the coils for the 6G72 (nonturbo and turbo) ARE simple. Its a rack of 3 coils with 6 outputs, looks very nice and EVERY Mitsubishi with the 6G72 has them (including Diamantes, which can be found for dirt cheap in a junkyard).

2) Using an external ignitor
In the above example, the ECU will be triggering the coils to fire. With an external ignitor, the ECU just sends a voltage signal to the ignitor to fire the coils. The ignitor contains the transitor(s) within it. If the Mitsubishi coils are used, using the Mitsubishi ignitor might be the best deal. It is supposedly ROCK solid and it has harness plugs already designed for the coils. You could supposedly pick up both units off the same car. The signals from the ECU would trigger this unit and it would fire the coils.

So now we need to debate the viability of using the Mitsubishi ignitor or the VB921 drivers. Pricing wise, the Mitsubishi ignitor is like $125 new. And the coil drivers are $9.50 a piece... 2 are needed so that comes to $20.

A second VR circuit needs to be constructed for the second wheel in the 7M CPS and its a bit confusing to me where it needs to be done (the proto area on the MS board doesn't look large enough to contain it and I'm unsure if part of the circuit exists already).
http://www.msextra.com/ms2extra/MS2-Extra_Nippon.htm

So let's hear the discussion!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cps diagram.jpg (73.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg ignptu-obl.jpg (64.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg v3sparkouts.jpg (17.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg igncoil-loc2.jpg (42.1 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by Bean : 02-03-2008 at 01:05 PM.
Offline:   Reply With Quote

Old 02-04-2008, 06:04 AM   #7
Dramon
NA-T Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: ...
Posts: 1,393
Trader Ratings: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bean View Post
So now we need to put up some ideas here for ignition.

There are two routes that I can see being made that involve using the 7M CPS. It is a readily available piece that works with our stock hardware and it has been decoded for use by the MS2-Extra firmware.

The CPS has two wheels within it, one for the crank-position (26 teeth, no missing, on the Ne Pickup) and cam position (2 teeth at 180 deg seperation on the G1 and G2 pickup). FYI the G1 pickup is for cyl 6 at TDC and G2 is for cyl 1. I'm attaching a picture, don't mind the editing, it had to do with something else.

That is only part of the equation though and the signal to ignite still has to get out. It can be done two different ways.

1) Install two additional VB921 coil drivers.
What does a coil driver do? Its essentially an ignitor, it uses a npn BJT transitor (I'm pretty sure) that turns on when voltage is applied to the base (pin 1 on the VB921). When the switch is ON, this causes current to flow through the primary winding of the transformer within the coil. When it is time to fire, the voltage applied to the base is cut-off very quickly. This causes a huge voltage surge in the secondary winding inside the coil as a reaction. The voltage surge of the coil is applied across the open ends of the spark plug, where now the voltage across the gap in the spark plug is high enough to flow electricity through the compressed air and we have a spark.

The basic MS2 install will give you instructions on how to install one VB921 driver, but the extra 2 drivers have to be installed seperately. I've got the data saved for this. Its nothing really hard honestly.

So essentially, the ignitors will be onboard and simple coils can be used for each one. I'm not sure if the 7M coils are simple, they may have ignitors built into them? I havent had time to research that. If not, I DO believe the coils for the 6G72 (nonturbo and turbo) ARE simple. Its a rack of 3 coils with 6 outputs, looks very nice and EVERY Mitsubishi with the 6G72 has them (including Diamantes, which can be found for dirt cheap in a junkyard).

2) Using an external ignitor
In the above example, the ECU will be triggering the coils to fire. With an external ignitor, the ECU just sends a voltage signal to the ignitor to fire the coils. The ignitor contains the transitor(s) within it. If the Mitsubishi coils are used, using the Mitsubishi ignitor might be the best deal. It is supposedly ROCK solid and it has harness plugs already designed for the coils. You could supposedly pick up both units off the same car. The signals from the ECU would trigger this unit and it would fire the coils.

So now we need to debate the viability of using the Mitsubishi ignitor or the VB921 drivers. Pricing wise, the Mitsubishi ignitor is like $125 new. And the coil drivers are $9.50 a piece... 2 are needed so that comes to $20.

A second VR circuit needs to be constructed for the second wheel in the 7M CPS and its a bit confusing to me where it needs to be done (the proto area on the MS board doesn't look large enough to contain it and I'm unsure if part of the circuit exists already).
http://www.msextra.com/ms2extra/MS2-Extra_Nippon.htm

So let's hear the discussion!
It would probably be easier to use a stock ignitor in this situation...i'm not really that familiar with MS software but I would imagine the hardest part in using a stock ignitor would be figuring out the specs on the ignitor such as whether or not it operates on a rising or falling edge. Also, as solid as you can build megasquirt stuff, OEM equipment would probably be preferred.

Also, this is probably just getting way too complicated but 2nd Gen RX7 Leading(i think leading might be trailing) coils have a built in ignitor that flip flops on every other ignition signal or something like that. It's been a couple years since i've looked into them but that might be something to consider.

Another thing to consider and once again it may not be necessary as i'm not familiar with the megasquirt BUT what if in using ignition drivers you then need a CDI of some sort like you do when you go AEM? That's another cost to consider.

AAAND you probably know but the ncf stuff on mkiv.net for our cars has all the info you could ever want when it comes to how our ignitions work and even resistance plots of our sensors.

Finally, why do you have to use the cam AND crank signal outputs, couldn't you just use crank? There's probably a reason you can't...I just can't think of it for some dumb reason.

Last edited by Dramon : 02-04-2008 at 06:05 AM.
Offline:   Reply With Quote

Old 02-04-2008, 10:54 AM   #8
Bean
NA-T Guru
 
Bean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Mobile, AL
Posts: 1,105
Trader Ratings: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dramon View Post
It would probably be easier to use a stock ignitor in this situation...i'm not really that familiar with MS software but I would imagine the hardest part in using a stock ignitor would be figuring out the specs on the ignitor such as whether or not it operates on a rising or falling edge. Also, as solid as you can build megasquirt stuff, OEM equipment would probably be preferred.

Also, this is probably just getting way too complicated but 2nd Gen RX7 Leading(i think leading might be trailing) coils have a built in ignitor that flip flops on every other ignition signal or something like that. It's been a couple years since i've looked into them but that might be something to consider.

Another thing to consider and once again it may not be necessary as i'm not familiar with the megasquirt BUT what if in using ignition drivers you then need a CDI of some sort like you do when you go AEM? That's another cost to consider.

AAAND you probably know but the ncf stuff on mkiv.net for our cars has all the info you could ever want when it comes to how our ignitions work and even resistance plots of our sensors.

Finally, why do you have to use the cam AND crank signal outputs, couldn't you just use crank? There's probably a reason you can't...I just can't think of it for some dumb reason.

The stock ignitor would work well with just a single coil application, but ours won't work with a 7M CPS or any other wasted system since its only a switch for one coil and the distributor itself routes the current to the correct plug wire. I'm assuming here to go full standalone with a wasted-spark system. I think the 2jz-ge distributor would be hooked up the same way as the 7M CPS.

I dont know what ncf stuff is, I'll have to figure that out. As far as I'm concerned, our ignition isn't going to work, its going to have to be 7M stuff or mitsubishi stuff. It doesn't matter much though, the 7M coils and Mitsubishi coils will be hooked up in similar fashion (identical actually) if internal ignition drivers are used.

And no, as far as I know, you don't need a CDI in this case. You need it with an AEM applied to a GTE motor for a different reason (converting to wasted spark requires more energy since its being distributed over two plugs at once)
__________________
2007 BMW 335i Sport
M6, BBK, Eibach suspension bits, AA AP2, AA DPs, AA FMIC, Bremmer 19x10.5r,19x8.5f wheels, Michelin PSS

2010 Nissan 370z
M6, base
Offline:   Reply With Quote

Old 02-04-2008, 05:13 PM   #9
Dramon
NA-T Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: ...
Posts: 1,393
Trader Ratings: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bean View Post
The stock ignitor would work well with just a single coil application, but ours won't work with a 7M CPS or any other wasted system since its only a switch for one coil and the distributor itself routes the current to the correct plug wire. I'm assuming here to go full standalone with a wasted-spark system. I think the 2jz-ge distributor would be hooked up the same way as the 7M CPS.

I dont know what ncf stuff is, I'll have to figure that out. As far as I'm concerned, our ignition isn't going to work, its going to have to be 7M stuff or mitsubishi stuff. It doesn't matter much though, the 7M coils and Mitsubishi coils will be hooked up in similar fashion (identical actually) if internal ignition drivers are used.

And no, as far as I know, you don't need a CDI in this case. You need it with an AEM applied to a GTE motor for a different reason (converting to wasted spark requires more energy since its being distributed over two plugs at once)
Ah thats right about the AEM thing. And I know ours won't work, I was talking about using a mitsu or 7m ignitor. I was just saying it'd be better to use one of those most likely rather than building drivers into the board, but you know more about it than i do so it might be easier doing it the other way.

This is what I was talking about:

http://mkiv.com/specifications/ncf/ncf93/
Offline:   Reply With Quote

Old 02-05-2008, 06:15 PM   #10
Bean
NA-T Guru
 
Bean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Mobile, AL
Posts: 1,105
Trader Ratings: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dramon View Post
Ah thats right about the AEM thing. And I know ours won't work, I was talking about using a mitsu or 7m ignitor. I was just saying it'd be better to use one of those most likely rather than building drivers into the board, but you know more about it than i do so it might be easier doing it the other way.

This is what I was talking about:

http://mkiv.com/specifications/ncf/ncf93/
I agree on the ignitors thing. It would just be a matter of running the wires from the correct positions within the ECU to the correct terminals (docs say to make a new db15 connector because the normal db37 isnt rated to flow a lot of amperage? but it only says that for driving more than 2 ignition signals directly to coils; the current to trigger an ignitor isn't very high)

I'm reading that now. I wanted to make sure you saw this; best docs I ever found for the 2jz motor. Goes WAY in depth.
http://www.97supraturbo.com/Supra%20...20Features.pdf
__________________
2007 BMW 335i Sport
M6, BBK, Eibach suspension bits, AA AP2, AA DPs, AA FMIC, Bremmer 19x10.5r,19x8.5f wheels, Michelin PSS

2010 Nissan 370z
M6, base
Offline:   Reply With Quote

Old 02-07-2008, 09:49 AM   #11
98mkiv
Leaded Gas Admin
 
98mkiv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: in the wires
Posts: 3,742
Trader Ratings: (4)
Excellent info... keep it coming.

How about the GM ignitors (the ignition stuff is amazingly cheap new or used) or the ford edis parts - I know it is popular with MS guys. I personally have nothing against OEM or NON OEM (which is just really another OEM's parts) as long as the connectors are available, it should be just as reliable.
__________________
paypal & email: mark@clubna-t.com
email is the fastest way to get me.

Offline:   Reply With Quote

Old 03-10-2008, 02:02 AM   #12
Stangboy
2 psi
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: home
Posts: 49
Trader Ratings: (0)
Wow Im lost, this would be nice if it would work out, in a kit form of course.........
Offline:   Reply With Quote

Old 04-16-2008, 12:45 PM   #13
bigbloodyturbo
2 psi
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: bottom of the bottle
Posts: 39
Trader Ratings: (0)
Any updates on this? very interested in anybody's progress
Offline:   Reply With Quote

Old 07-27-2008, 02:58 AM   #14
celicaxx
typical heeb
 
celicaxx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: montgomery, al
Posts: 11
Trader Ratings: (0)
I've been running an MS1 with the extra daughtercard for a few years now (6M, not 2J). the edis 36-1 wheel is what I use now for the trigger (had noise issues with the VE from the stock dizzy).

7M CPS should be the best option IMO; there's a decoder in extra for this 24/2 dual wheel setup



DSM coils and ignitor should be a great option (vb921's can be a bit flakey from what I read/seen locally).

There's someone here (my MS tuner) who's NA-T-ing a 2j in his nissan. It will be MS1, v2.2 board, *error daughterboard, and will most likely run the 7M cps and dsm ignition.

i'll update later.

btw, i run 720cc injectors, msd 6a, and distributor successfully. too bad i won't squirt my gs300. i need to keep my management for the auto-box
__________________
85 celica/supra - MSnS-E v.2.2
348/394rw @ 17psi
Offline:   Reply With Quote

Old 07-27-2008, 09:20 AM   #15
98mkiv
Leaded Gas Admin
 
98mkiv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: in the wires
Posts: 3,742
Trader Ratings: (4)
I really hope someone can help us all out with the MS, I'd love to see a low $ standalone for the community.

Mark
__________________
paypal & email: mark@clubna-t.com
email is the fastest way to get me.

Offline:   Reply With Quote

Old 07-27-2008, 06:20 PM   #16
Bean
NA-T Guru
 
Bean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Mobile, AL
Posts: 1,105
Trader Ratings: (0)
You rang? I've got a standalone harness built sitting on my desk. I've got a few wires to setup since the stock Toyota electronics send a 12v signal to activate the Main EFI Relay while the MS grounds a 12v signal to activate the relay.

I'm having to balance time between work, studying for the GRE, a new underwater acoustics project for school, and rest time inbetween semesters

To be fair, I'll post up the conversion docs in Excel format in a couple hours along with a circuit diagram of the mods needed for activating the main relay.

I'm going to be offering these services once done. It will be plug and play. The map sensor and IAT sensor will need installing, but all the wires needed are within easy reach in the engine bay. I'm hoping to have the price hover around $625 for a PNP setup with a tuned stock map.

I'm also currently setting up the Ford EDIS coils for use on a wastespark setup. The coils cost $25 used and are very easy to setup. The MS can handle spark dwell easy enough and can have up to 4 spark outputs (3 only needed in this case).
__________________
2007 BMW 335i Sport
M6, BBK, Eibach suspension bits, AA AP2, AA DPs, AA FMIC, Bremmer 19x10.5r,19x8.5f wheels, Michelin PSS

2010 Nissan 370z
M6, base
Offline:   Reply With Quote

Old 07-27-2008, 06:23 PM   #17
Bean
NA-T Guru
 
Bean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Mobile, AL
Posts: 1,105
Trader Ratings: (0)
VB921s have been discontinued. If you buy a kit, you get the BIP373 which is a very good unit.

No need for the 7M CPS since the stock GE electronics do the same thing.

Ford EDIS coils are just as good as the DSM parts and cost $25 from a junkyard.

GPIO board can control a transmission btw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by celicaxx View Post
I've been running an MS1 with the extra daughtercard for a few years now (6M, not 2J). the edis 36-1 wheel is what I use now for the trigger (had noise issues with the VE from the stock dizzy).

7M CPS should be the best option IMO; there's a decoder in extra for this 24/2 dual wheel setup



DSM coils and ignitor should be a great option (vb921's can be a bit flakey from what I read/seen locally).

There's someone here (my MS tuner) who's NA-T-ing a 2j in his nissan. It will be MS1, v2.2 board, *error daughterboard, and will most likely run the 7M cps and dsm ignition.

i'll update later.

btw, i run 720cc injectors, msd 6a, and distributor successfully. too bad i won't squirt my gs300. i need to keep my management for the auto-box
__________________
2007 BMW 335i Sport
M6, BBK, Eibach suspension bits, AA AP2, AA DPs, AA FMIC, Bremmer 19x10.5r,19x8.5f wheels, Michelin PSS

2010 Nissan 370z
M6, base
Offline:   Reply With Quote

Old 07-27-2008, 07:50 PM   #18
celicaxx
typical heeb
 
celicaxx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: montgomery, al
Posts: 11
Trader Ratings: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bean View Post
VB921s have been discontinued. If you buy a kit, you get the BIP373 which is a very good unit.

No need for the 7M CPS since the stock GE electronics do the same thing.

Ford EDIS coils are just as good as the DSM parts and cost $25 from a junkyard.

GPIO board can control a transmission btw.
have you used those BIP373's? still not as dependable as the stock ignitors (dwell needs to be dead on)

Why not the 7m cps? gives much more clearance for a fatty turbo.

bought my dsm coils AND ignitor for <$25.
EDIS has it's limitations (if you go full EDIS electronics); flat shift/launch control is out of the question (you'll love flat shift BTW)

but i'm sure you guys are running ms with better luck than I am, I'm still on the stock dizzy.....for now
__________________
85 celica/supra - MSnS-E v.2.2
348/394rw @ 17psi
Offline:   Reply With Quote

Old 07-28-2008, 02:14 AM   #19
dejacky
NA-T Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Traveling Tuner
Posts: 748
Trader Ratings: (0)
I'm in for the results, let me know if I can help with settings...i have aem ems for now!
__________________
EFI-101 Certified
EFI-Advanced Certified

www.jackyperformance.com

Turbo Kit Sale + 2JZ Parts:
http://forum.clubna-t.com/showthread...ighlight=turbo

http://www.MongoFiles.com (Transfer Large Files Easy)
Offline:   Reply With Quote

Old 07-28-2008, 03:05 AM   #20
Bean
NA-T Guru
 
Bean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Mobile, AL
Posts: 1,105
Trader Ratings: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by celicaxx View Post
have you used those BIP373's? still not as dependable as the stock ignitors (dwell needs to be dead on)

Why not the 7m cps? gives much more clearance for a fatty turbo.

bought my dsm coils AND ignitor for <$25.
EDIS has it's limitations (if you go full EDIS electronics); flat shift/launch control is out of the question (you'll love flat shift BTW)

but i'm sure you guys are running ms with better luck than I am, I'm still on the stock dizzy.....for now

I havent, but the dwell settings for edis coils are already out there. Plus this will also allow use of the stock ignitor and stock distributor if you dont want to use wastespark. I assume you're using the 6G72 parts? Funny you bring up criticism over BIP373 parts; that particular Mitsubishi ignition has plenty of troubles.

This is for an EDIS COIL... not the EDIS electronics. I am using the stock toyota sensors; there's no need for the Ford VR sensor and wheel. The EDIS coils have no rev limit because they are controlled by an external box. You will literally unplug your stock ECU, plug this new harness in, ground ONE wire, tap five wires in the engine bay for the IAT and MAP, plug in the MS2 ECU and go. If you want wastespark mode, you have to run 3 new wires to the engine bay, mount the coils/plug wires.

Why hack up the 7M CPS to fit when you can cap off the distributor with a small cover? It wont stick out any further than the CPS when you remove the rotor and full cap, it wont require you to drill anything, its free, and it wont look goofy when mounted on the engine. It'd be easy enough to draw up a cover on emachine and get it made.

Oh. And last I checked, I might be wrong, the 6G72 ignitor does not have internal dwell control (neither do the toyota parts). How does using an ignitor help you again?
__________________
2007 BMW 335i Sport
M6, BBK, Eibach suspension bits, AA AP2, AA DPs, AA FMIC, Bremmer 19x10.5r,19x8.5f wheels, Michelin PSS

2010 Nissan 370z
M6, base

Last edited by Bean : 07-28-2008 at 03:16 AM.
Offline:   Reply With Quote

Old 07-28-2008, 03:39 AM   #21
Bean
NA-T Guru
 
Bean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Mobile, AL
Posts: 1,105
Trader Ratings: (0)
Here's the promised Excel file, I had to add the relay bits in at the bottom. This is not finalized. In my big writeup, there's going to be a nice pdf doc

http://www.fileden.com/files/2008/7/...%20harness.xls
__________________
2007 BMW 335i Sport
M6, BBK, Eibach suspension bits, AA AP2, AA DPs, AA FMIC, Bremmer 19x10.5r,19x8.5f wheels, Michelin PSS

2010 Nissan 370z
M6, base
Offline:   Reply With Quote

Old 07-28-2008, 07:46 PM   #22
celicaxx
typical heeb
 
celicaxx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: montgomery, al
Posts: 11
Trader Ratings: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bean View Post
I havent, but the dwell settings for edis coils are already out there. Plus this will also allow use of the stock ignitor and stock distributor if you dont want to use wastespark. I assume you're using the 6G72 parts? Funny you bring up criticism over BIP373 parts; that particular Mitsubishi ignition has plenty of troubles.

This is for an EDIS COIL... not the EDIS electronics. I am using the stock toyota sensors; there's no need for the Ford VR sensor and wheel. The EDIS coils have no rev limit because they are controlled by an external box. You will literally unplug your stock ECU, plug this new harness in, ground ONE wire, tap five wires in the engine bay for the IAT and MAP, plug in the MS2 ECU and go. If you want wastespark mode, you have to run 3 new wires to the engine bay, mount the coils/plug wires.

Why hack up the 7M CPS to fit when you can cap off the distributor with a small cover? It wont stick out any further than the CPS when you remove the rotor and full cap, it wont require you to drill anything, its free, and it wont look goofy when mounted on the engine. It'd be easy enough to draw up a cover on emachine and get it made.

Oh. And last I checked, I might be wrong, the 6G72 ignitor does not have internal dwell control (neither do the toyota parts). How does using an ignitor help you again?
sorry about the confusion of EDIS; for some reason I thought you were running full edis, which is SAFE but limiting.

I didn't realize adapting a 7M CPS was so challenging; seemed pretty straight-forward to me.

The DSM coil/ignitor swap is well documented as well; the volvo community have proven this system worthy with msns-e, plus i've personally seen it's progress.

I have seen vb921's and other like ignitor fets shit at a drop of the hat. I'm not familiar with the bip373's, but until I see someone local use them, I'll pass. There are several smart coils systems that will do the same job without the extra soldering (I hate building breadboard circuits).

With all that aside, I've followed some of your research and you are well versed. You've obviously spent alot of time researching the MS stuff and the Toyota ECU hack (lots of headaches there). I takes the patience you have to really grasp MS.

What I've learned, and you will too, as you get into setting it up is that what is supposed to work in theory and on paper doesn't always translate in actual success. Some settings in MT work differently than what you are told and what you expect. Then again, other features are unexpectedly easy to set up.

Good luck with your PnP; if it works as planned I'll promote it and use it myself
__________________
85 celica/supra - MSnS-E v.2.2
348/394rw @ 17psi
Offline:   Reply With Quote

Old 07-30-2008, 02:00 PM   #23
Bean
NA-T Guru
 
Bean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Mobile, AL
Posts: 1,105
Trader Ratings: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by celicaxx View Post
sorry about the confusion of EDIS; for some reason I thought you were running full edis, which is SAFE but limiting.

I didn't realize adapting a 7M CPS was so challenging; seemed pretty straight-forward to me.

The DSM coil/ignitor swap is well documented as well; the volvo community have proven this system worthy with msns-e, plus i've personally seen it's progress.

I have seen vb921's and other like ignitor fets shit at a drop of the hat. I'm not familiar with the bip373's, but until I see someone local use them, I'll pass. There are several smart coils systems that will do the same job without the extra soldering (I hate building breadboard circuits).

With all that aside, I've followed some of your research and you are well versed. You've obviously spent alot of time researching the MS stuff and the Toyota ECU hack (lots of headaches there). I takes the patience you have to really grasp MS.

What I've learned, and you will too, as you get into setting it up is that what is supposed to work in theory and on paper doesn't always translate in actual success. Some settings in MT work differently than what you are told and what you expect. Then again, other features are unexpectedly easy to set up.

Good luck with your PnP; if it works as planned I'll promote it and use it myself

BIP373s are OEM Bosch ignition parts made for high-current automotive use. They are OEM equipment in quite a few cars from what I read. 7M part requires that you purchase the part; drill a hole so it can mount correctly, and then cut/solder the harness plug in. The distributor requires unscrewing the cover, unscrewing the rotor, and putting on some cheap abs low-profile cover. I'd be much more willing to trust a newer part that came with the car versus an older part that didn't; but thats just me.
http://www.megamanual.com/ms2/bip373.htm
http://www.megamanual.com/ms2/bip373_datasheet.pdf

I agree that MS requires a lot of patience and reading. I think I've read every Toyota thread for Megasquirt ever created.

And just for anyone's benefit that may also be reading this: this particular project is using the MS2-Extra, not the MSNS-Extra. The difference is the MS2 uses a much faster processor that is dedicated to automotive usage, has extra spare outputs, an integrated stepper motor controller (we need this for idle on our stock cars), and higher resolution maps. Its almost a plug and play deal too swap the two, but most of the MSNS units use the old PCBs that aren't in circulation anymore.
__________________
2007 BMW 335i Sport
M6, BBK, Eibach suspension bits, AA AP2, AA DPs, AA FMIC, Bremmer 19x10.5r,19x8.5f wheels, Michelin PSS

2010 Nissan 370z
M6, base

Last edited by Bean : 07-30-2008 at 02:04 PM.
Offline:   Reply With Quote

Progress
Old 08-27-2008, 12:29 PM   #24
tafadzwa
in vacuum
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Archdale NC
Posts: 7
Trader Ratings: (0)
Progress

Any progress on this project?, I am really interested in using this system on my 93 sc300 that is soon to be boosted.
Offline:   Reply With Quote

Old 09-10-2008, 05:18 PM   #25
roadracer4life
Heeb Fabricator
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montgomery Alabama
Posts: 38
Trader Ratings: (0)
the 7m cps fits easy and only alittle mod is nessarry..



i am going to use the 7m cps and the mitsu coils and ignitor.. I am gonna start the heavy wiring this weekend... i will try to post more pics as this project progresses...
Sam

great write up there Bean i am glad to see someone taking the time to figure all this stuff out..
__________________
2JZ-GE powered S14 9.89@151.1[IMG]http://www.pbase..../113233768.jpg[/IMG]
Offline:   Reply With Quote

Old 09-10-2008, 05:26 PM   #26
LexusFTW
NA-T Guru
 
LexusFTW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Tulsa, OK
Posts: 2,267
Trader Ratings: (1)
Looks good Sam. I love the motor mounts!

In for updates!!
Offline:   Reply With Quote

Old 09-10-2008, 08:12 PM   #27
98mkiv
Leaded Gas Admin
 
98mkiv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: in the wires
Posts: 3,742
Trader Ratings: (4)
Looks great, we need MS to work, I think it's a great idea and hope that it's going to pan out. I see no reason why it would not.
__________________
paypal & email: mark@clubna-t.com
email is the fastest way to get me.

Offline:   Reply With Quote

Old 09-13-2008, 04:33 PM   #28
Curry
20psi club
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: NY
Posts: 185
Trader Ratings: (0)
Can the MSII be used to get rid of the karman MAF while still keeping the stock ECU? I had planned to do this with the MS if possible and later on build it up to be full stand alone... I basically want to be rid of the stupid karman maf...

Ideas?
__________________
Offline:   Reply With Quote

Old 09-13-2008, 09:31 PM   #29
98mkiv
Leaded Gas Admin
 
98mkiv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: in the wires
Posts: 3,742
Trader Ratings: (4)
I don't think it's setup that way.... anyone ?
__________________
paypal & email: mark@clubna-t.com
email is the fastest way to get me.

Offline:   Reply With Quote

Old 09-13-2008, 11:46 PM   #30
roadracer4life
Heeb Fabricator
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montgomery Alabama
Posts: 38
Trader Ratings: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curry View Post
Can the MSII be used to get rid of the karman MAF while still keeping the stock ECU? I had planned to do this with the MS if possible and later on build it up to be full stand alone... I basically want to be rid of the stupid karman maf...

Ideas?
megasquirt is not considered a piggyback like SAFC or Emanage.. Megasquirt is a very simple but very configurable standalone.. some people use it just for controling fuel some use it for just ingniton but i plan on using it for both..
__________________
2JZ-GE powered S14 9.89@151.1[IMG]http://www.pbase..../113233768.jpg[/IMG]
Offline:   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:35 AM.


Sponsors: Boston Colocation + Boston VPS